Department of Applied Sciences
The Department of Applied Sciences, VAST, which encompasses the disciplines of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, has established a strong academic ambience in the Department. Mathematics is an inevitable ancillary subject for any branch of technical studies, without which the foundation of engineering education would be built on shifting sands. Physics and Chemistry are of equal importance to technical education as Mathematics.
The Department has organised several regional and national level seminars funded by various agencies. The members of faculty have more than a hundred research papers and conference papers to their credit. Some of them are in the Editorial Board and in the reviewers' panels of many established journals and prestigious reviewing databases.
Some of the Activities of the Department of Applied Sciences:
AION - The Science Fest which is being conducted every year.
Yearly National Seminar on different areas of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
Workshops on LaTeX and Computer Algebra Systems.
Regular Research Presentation/Discussion Programmes.
Other regular academic programmes:
- Bridge Course in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry for newly admitted B. Tech. students.
- Remedial Classes for weak students.
- The Department of Applied Sciences maintains two labs - Engineering Physics Lab and Engineering Chemistry Lab. These labs are for first year B. Tech Students under APJ Abdulkalam Kerala Technological University.
- The Department of Applied Sciences maintains a state-of-the-art Department Library which contains over a thousand books on various disciplines of Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry.
- Under the initiative of the Department of Applied Sciences, a research and study centre, namely the Centre for Studies in Discrete Mathematics (CSDM) is functioning in the campus.
- The objectives of the Centre is to promote studies in Discrete Mathematics and related areas. The Centre has vast collection research papers, conference proceedings, electronic copies of reference books etc.
- The centre provides ample facility for research scholars to pursue their studies using the facilities in the centre.
- The Centre also publishes an international research journal namely "Contemporary Studies in Discrete Mathematics". This journal is a triannual journal which will be indexed in reputed databases as early as possible.
Department of Applied Sciences:
Vidya Academy of Science & Technology
Kurumal, Thalakottukara P.O., Near Kaiparambu,
Thrissur - 680501, Kerala, India
Phone: +91-4885-287751 / 287752,
Extensions: 194 (Head of the Department), 188 (Faculty Room-1), 190 (Faculty Room-2)
The Centre for Studies in Discrete Mathematics (CSDM) is a new initiative of the Department of Applied Science, Vidya Academy of Science and Technology, Thrissur, Kerala, India, to encourage quality research in Discrete Mathematics and allied areas, in collaboration with other reputed institutions and centres of excellence. The Centre works closely with people associated with teaching and research in related disciplines like computer science and electronics engineering. The Centre also organises many activities by itself and together with other similar research centres.
The Centre is envisaged to act as an avenue for our teachers to interact with experts of national and international repute in the specific subject areas concerned. It will be highly useful for Mathematics teachers and researchers in their research as well as in their quality improvement. Discrete Mathematics has several significant applications in various fields, the Centre is also expected to develop as a model organisation which promotes good quality interdisciplinary research.
Broadly, the following are the aims and objectives of the CSDM.
- To develop a centre of research in Discrete Mathematics in the College;
- to popularise study and research in all areas of mathematics falling under the broad head of Discrete Mathematics;
- to develop a resource centre for all information connected with Discrete Mathematics and related areas;
- to establish access to reputed research databases;
- carry out research projects funded by Governments and other agencies.
Independent of their location or institution, any member of the faculty, research scholar or post graduate student who is genuinely interested in the advancements of Discrete Mathematics and allied areas can take part in the activities of the Centre.
Please visit the website of CSDM here: www.csdm.org.in
Inauguration of the CSDMInauguration of the Centre for Studies in Discrete Mathematics (CSDM), new initiative of the Department of Applied Sciences, was held on...
Mr. Sudev awarded Ph.D from Kannur UniversityMr. Sudev N K, Associate Professor of Mathematics, Department of Applied Sciences, has been awarded Ph.D from Kannur University, Kerala on...
News & Events
Vidya Academy of Science & Technology
Kurumal,Thalakottukara P.O., Near Kaiparambu, Thrissur - 680501, Kerala, India
Phone: +91 4885 287751, 287752
Fax: +91 4885 288366
Affiliated to APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University & University of Calicut Approved by AICTE | ISO 9001 : 2008
Copyright © 2016, www.vidyaacademy.ac.in. All Rights Reserved.